Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tikkun Olan


Stuff has been happening over the past weeks , which is normal to my past 5 years at work, as well in my life in general. Lets just say I help deal with many life issues (injustices or similar) for many people on a pseudo/non- official basis. - I can't bear to see injustice done.


Anyhow, it occupies time yet doesn't bother me. I feel it is part of my role in life (tho' some days I wish I'd be left alone and not drawn into anything - i.e stirring the pots). I don't think much about what I do; I am passionate about my small world and I do what I can do in it.

I think its only pointed ot to me, what I do, when I verbalize to loved ones .Then I realize that maybe I am doing something special (tho' I doubt it).

Fidel sees what I do a part of the Hebrew concept of Tikkun Olan

( hich he sorta explained to me)

Okay -

But I think not... I don't see it so grand. I just do it ' cause it has to be done - even if it is a hug to a homeless person.

Today - browsing sites, I found "Keep Buggering On".

(I like her posts)

Anyways, on the side bar, she defined Tekkun Olan. Ahhh !!! Thats what Fidel means.

Why put onto words something you just feel you have to do ? It sounds too grand for what Ive tried to do daily, and too high a bar for when I can't.

See below.....(from Lorraine's blog)

Tikkun Olam

Tikkun olam is a Hebrew phrase which translates to "repairing the world." It is important in Judaism and is often used to explain the Jewish concept of social justice. In some explanations, the more mitzvot that are performed, the closer the world will be towards perfection. Some Jews believe that acts of tikkun olam will either trigger or fulfill the prophesied coming of the Moshiach (messiah) or messianic age (the World to Come). The belief in tikkun olam is also central to the Zohar, the most important book in kabbalah (Jewish mysticism). The phrase is used in the prayer, such as in Aleinu: l'takken olam b'malkhut Shaddai; "to repair the world in the Kingdom of God." It is also used in the Mishnah, in the phrase mip'nei tikkun olam ("because of tikkun olam") to indicate that a practice is followed not because it is the law but because it helps avoid negative social consequences.

Tzedakah

Tzedakah is charity; charity of money, charity of words, charity of right things. Actually, tzedakah is much more than Charity. Charity just means money, cash or cheques, but tzedakahâ is so much more. Tzedakah literally means "righteousness." It means the right response for the situation. If you have a couple of coins for a beggar, thats charity. But if you dont, and you give him a smile and a boost instead... now, thats tzedakah.

According to Maimonides, there are 8 levels of tzedakah:.

1. Giving financial stability to someone whos down and almost out: a loan, or a job, so that he doesnt need to rely on others..

2. Giving where neither the donor nor the recipient know each others identity.

3. Giving where the donor knows who the recipient is, but the recipient doesnt know who the donor is.

5. Giving before someone asks.

6. Giving after someone asks.

7. Giving less than needed... but with a pleasant, all-smiles attitude.

8. Giving begrudgingly or with a scowling attitude.

Tzedakah is an attitude of giving. Look for situations where you can give whatever is needed... because often, too often, giving is more than money.

2 comments:

deathsweep said...

Hi MSW - Just imagine if everyone, yes everyone, took time out of their lives whether at work or not to care for others? What a world this would be if everyone cared.

MedStudentWife said...

It actually makes my brain hurt trying to imagine the possibility :0