Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Time to Remember, as Everyday Should Be

Goodness.. I have so many thoughts about tomorrow ( today in other parts of this world), that I thought I would only say a few words.

A thought, a thank you and a wish for peace for all in uniform, past and present, any country ... to those who purposely serve because they can and want to, and also to those who have to, for what ever the reason, but yet they do to their best.

Many moons ago, I joined because it was a job and I knew no better. Many years later, it is such a part of me & my community that I know no different. Tomorrow Fidel and I will be out to honour ALL who serve.

I am also going to be a bit politically incorrect, in that my heart at this time of remembrance also goes out to those who have been sorely dealt with by those in uniform.

But as I said to Fidel tonight, times are a changin', as are the "wars", peacekeeping/maker mission that are fought - all must be kept in the collective memory so that in tribute of what we do, every November 11th, we do not forget.

Check out my sidebar videos for a Canadian message to our remembrance of vets or here it is ~




Another tribute ~




A poem sent from Fidel~


If you are able,
save for them a place
inside of you…
and save one backward glance
when you are leaving
for the places they can
no longer go….
Be not ashamed to say
you loved them,
though you may
or may not have always…
Take what they have left
and what they have taught you
with their dying
and keep it with your own…
And in that time
when men decide and feel safe
to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace
those gentle heroes
you left behind…

BY:

Maj. Michael Davis O’Donnell, from Springfield, Illinois, was a helicopter pilot assigned to the 52nd Aviation Battalion, 17th Aviation Group, 1st Aviation Brigade, based at Dak To and Pleiku. On 24 March 1970, while attempting to rescue eight soldiers surrounded by attacking enemy forces, his chopper was shot down. Although crew in other choppers reported that his craft had been engulfed in a ball of fire that no one could have survived, he and three crew members were declared Missing In Action, perhaps in part because his chopper was downed in Laos. In 1977, he was promoted to major. A year later, he was officially declared Killed In Action. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal, the Bronze Star, and the Purple Heart.

Finally, I thought I would include this.... its beautiful




No comments: